This can be a visitor tree with visitor feedback from a long-time pupil. The topic is a Chojubai that she’s developed during the last 11 years.
A Chojubai 11 years from a chopping. That is the again.
The entrance. 16” W x 9” H / 41cm W x 23cm H. From this view we see shoots from the bottom being educated as trunks for a much bigger clump fashion. If you want for a clump fashion, possibly let just one root shoot develop a yr, in any other case the older, bigger trunks can weaken.
My pupil despatched me 10 years of notes on this Chojubai:
- Spring 2012. I bought a chopping from Bonsai Northwest.
- June 30, 2012. At our research group assembly you beneficial that I put them in 3 gallon nursery pots with 80% pumice and 20% bark / steer compost to get some dimension on them.
- January 18, 2014. At our research group assembly, following your recommendation, I wired and repotted the chojubai as a multi-trunk raft in the identical 3-gallon pot as a result of the central trunk had change into too stiff to bend and make into an attention-grabbing single trunk tree.
- March 3, 2018. Repotted the chojubai I’ve into the present bonsai pot. Dipped it in Zerotol.
- January 26, 2019. I discovered a substantial variety of galls and nematodes leading to having to take away fairly a little bit of the roots. Dipped it in Zerotol to manage them.
- Early July 2022. Scorching climate and a missed watering resulted in my chojubai dropping a whole lot of its leaves. It wanted repotting anyway so I deliberate for the repot.
- July 4, 2022. Repotted my chojubai into the identical pot (with Zerotol dip). I used to be joyful to see numerous wholesome roots and no signal of nematodes or galls. I believe the additional yr in a nursery pot that was on the bottom throughout the winter resulted within the nematode invasion.
- Summer season to fall 2022. Little or no pruning was wanted in fall. My chojubai leafed out after the repot however didn’t placed on a lot extensions. It has bloomed profusely this winter-spring.
She notes additional:
“I had been trimming the chojubai 3 times a yr (June after extensions hardened off, late July, Fall after leaves fall off). Every trim involving chopping off appreciable extensions so I it didn’t appear to be weakening them. Nonetheless, just lately I went to twice a yr after studying your weblog, and possibly that is applicable now that the shrub is older. I typically wire shoots to enhance the looks.”
“Following your recommendation, I’ve fertilized like loopy beginning in March with the black pine and persevering with by means of the rising season. I most frequently used 1 T fish, ½ t Dyna Develop fertilizer. In 2021 after attending a fall Seasonal I began utilizing Osmocote as effectively.”
“The chojubai was developed with out the advantage of a greenhouse. So, a lot is feasible in 10 years even with a primitive existence, though stone instruments would most likely be limiting.”
Virtually all of this work was carried out by my pupil. I had so little affect that that is undoubtedly her work. Kudos and effectively carried out!
April 2023 Bulletin Board
- You might need seen I’m making an attempt one thing new…posting on Monday morning slightly than Friday! Be at liberty to be irritated or rapturous and remark freely.