Floriology Institute November 2021, powered by FloraLife
Native to Asia, and northeastern Europe, Pompons belong to one of many greatest plant households, Asteraceae. Cultivated in Japan as early because the 8th century, many flower varieties and colours have been developed there. In reality, chrysanthemum flowers characteristic closely in Japanese tradition.
Native, or wild types of chrysanthemum flowers are a lot easier than their cultivated siblings, with smaller daisy-like flowers or extra ornamental blooms, resembling buttons or pompons, therefore their widespread identify.
Their pure kind is to develop as a multi-branched ‘Spray’ stem, and historically, to develop a single massive headed stem required cautious cultivation and pruning. These days, many cultivars have been developed to reduce or get rid of the necessity for particular cultivation methods to develop single headed stems.
Along with massive single headed varieties, breeders have been engaged on growing the color vary, and growing new flower varieties to draw a brand new viewers of customers. Which is encouraging, as these flowers really are the workhorse of the floral trade. So versatile, lengthy lasting, and comparatively sturdy when correctly dealt with, they actually do give worth for cash and are lovely in addition!
- Select stems with heads displaying full coloration, and ¾ to completely open.
Transport & Storage
- Transport and storage temperatures ought to be 34 – 38° F / 1 – 3° C
- Dry storage is greatest, however provided that temperatures are maintained between 34 – 38° F / 1 – 3° C
Re-hydration at Retailer Degree & Storage
- Retailer flowers dry at 34 – 38° F / 1 – 3° C for so long as potential (till flowers are wanted for moist case show at retailer/wholesale stage)
- Begin processing with a clear bucket, sanitized with FloraLife® D.C.D.® cleaner.
- If acquired dry packed, conditioning of stem ends is beneficial to forestall blockage and promote uptake. Minimize roughly 1” / 3cm extra off stems. Use clear, sanitized clippers or knife, and deal with with FloraLife® Fast Dip.
- Place flowers in a holding therapy equivalent to FloraLife® Specific 200. Don’t put flowers immediately in steel/galvanized buckets. Use clear, prime quality water that has not been handled with a water softener because the salt ranges could be damaging to flowers.
- Retailer in a cooler at 34 – 38° F / 1 – 3° C, relative humidity of 75 – 85%
- Enable minimal 2 hours to hydrate inserting buckets in an space with good airflow.
- All the time bear in mind FIFO (first in/first out) when rotating Pompons or some other flowers.
- Take away any leaves that could be under the vase resolution.
- If flowers are dry packed, reduce roughly 1” / 3cm or extra off stems. Use clear, sanitized clippers or knife, and deal with with FloraLife® Fast Dip.
- Instantly place flowers in vase options containing FloraLife Crystal Clear® or FloraLife® Specific 300.
- Botrytis can develop in bloom. All the time preserve the right temperature and humidity ranges throughout storage. Use anti-Pathogen Transport Paper sheets throughout delivery and storage.
- Flowers shattering because of tough dealing with.
- Foliage yellowing.
- Foliage browning.
Learn the total article on: www.floriologyinstitute.com
To find out about greatest practices from the specialists in flower care or to inquire about merchandise and availability in your area, go to www.floralife.com or contact your native FloraLife consultant.
*Product availability relies upon upon geographical area.