On this information, I’ll run by means of every little thing it’s essential find out about Corn plant care (Dracaena fragrans) at house. What’s nice is with a number of well-followed pointers, this Dracaena is simple to look after, making it good for brand spanking new plant mother and father and seasoned plant lovers alike.
Corn Plant Care – Key Takeaways
|Scientific Identify:||Dracaena fragrans|
|Native Vary:||Tropical Africa|
|Soil:||Nicely-draining, loamy or sandy soil; prefers barely acidic to impartial pH (6.0-7.0)|
|Mild:||Reasonable to brilliant oblique gentle; can tolerate decrease gentle circumstances.|
|Watering:||Maintain the soil moist however not soggy; enable the highest 50% of the soil base to dry in-between watering cycles.|
|Temperature:||Supreme vary is between 65-78°F (18-25°C); can tolerate a minimal of fifty°F (10°C)|
|Fertilizing:||Feed with a balanced houseplant liquid fertilizer as soon as a month through the rising season (spring and summer season).|
|Pruning:||Take away yellowing leaves and prune high development to take care of desired top and promote bushier development.|
|Pests:||Widespread pests embody spider mites, mealybugs, and scale bugs. Mitigate with insecticidal soaps or neem oil if wanted.|
The way to Develop Corn Vegetation Indoors at Dwelling
4 Issues to Do Earlier than Planting a Corn Plant
- Choose a wholesome plant – Earlier than including it to your private home, look it over for any indicators of illness or pests. Keep away from vegetation which have discolored or drooping leaves.
- Select a correct location – Search for a spot freed from drafts and direct gentle in your own home. Additionally, guarantee your ceilings are excessive sufficient to deal with the corn plant’s development — it will probably develop as much as eight toes tall!
- Choose an appropriate container – Decide a big container to carry the corn plant’s rootball. These vegetation hate sitting in water, so be certain the pot has drainage holes.
- Fill the container with potting combine – Present your corn plant with an amazing soil combine. See beneath for ideas.
How Large and Quick Will Corn Vegetation Develop?
Corn vegetation develop over 15 toes tall outdoor, however indoors they are going to max out at six to eight toes tall. They develop slowly indoors, so don’t count on greater than a foot of development in a yr.
The way to Plant a Corn Plant Indoors
- Fill your pot 1/4 approach full with potting combine.
- Place the rootball within the container.
- Fill the remainder of the pot with potting combine.
- Water effectively.
- Place the pot in your required location.
- Keep away from shifting your plant so it will probably get cozy in its new house.
3 Traits of the Finest Corn Plant Soil Combine
- Nicely–draining – Search for a combination that comprises a cloth that will increase drainage, akin to perlite.
- Nutrient holding – Clay and natural matter will assist maintain vitamins. Peat moss and coco coir are glorious corn plant soil combine supplies.
- Barely acidic – Corn vegetation thrive in soils with a pH of 6.0.
Corn vegetation thrive in brilliant but oblique gentle. However they will tolerate low ranges of sunshine. A perfect spot could be in a south or easterly-facing room that receives in depth durations of sunshine all through the day.
Temperature and Humidity Preferences
Since they’re native to the tropics, it’s no shock that corn vegetation love scorching and humid circumstances.
Maintain your own home above 65ºF and supply medium humidity if attainable. To assist with humidity in dry areas, make the most of a humidifier or mist your plant (evenly) every so often if wanted. A humidity tray can also be a worthwhile funding for a lot of houseplants, notably through the chilly, dry winter months.
Important Corn Plant Care at Dwelling
How To Water Corn Vegetation
Corn vegetation are drought-tolerant and hate sitting in standing water. To maintain them blissful, observe these watering practices.
- Water when dry – Water vegetation completely, then look forward to the highest half of the soil to dry out earlier than watering once more. You gained’t have to water greater than as soon as per week.
- Use appropriate water – Chlorine, fluoride, and minerals in faucet water can hurt corn vegetation. To keep away from including these dangerous substances, use filtered water or rainwater. Alternatively, let faucet water sit in your counter for a day earlier than making use of it to your plant.
- Pay attention to the season – In the course of the cooler and darker winter days, vegetation develop slower than in the summertime. Due to this fact, they require much less water within the winter.
- Account for environmental circumstances – Since these vegetation dwell inside, you’ll have to be aware of your temperature, gentle, and humidity. Vegetation require frequent watering with low humidity, excessive temperature, and excessive gentle.
Fertilizing Corn Vegetation
Corn vegetation are gentle feeders, which means they don’t require a lot fertilizer. Fertilize them as soon as within the spring and as soon as in the summertime with a diluted houseplant fertilizer.
Pruning Corn Vegetation
You don’t have to prune corn vegetation, however you definitely can. The perfect time to prune is when the plant is actively rising in spring and summer season.
To prune, merely minimize a stalk with a sterile and sharp knife or pair of shears. New leaves will emerge from the minimize.
Go away no less than half of the stalk connected to the plant to keep away from stressing the plant an excessive amount of. Additionally, keep away from pruning a couple of stalk at a time.
When and The way to Propagate Corn Vegetation
Propagating corn vegetation is simple and goes alongside effectively with pruning. You may propagate corn vegetation anytime, however the perfect time to take a reducing is through the spring and summer season.
Comply with these steps to propagate your corn plant through a reducing.
- Take a stem reducing – Following the above instructions, prune a stalk off your plant.
- Place the reducing in water – Put the reducing in a jar stuffed with one or two inches of water.
- Wait – Watch for the plant to type roots. This will take two to 4 months.
- Place the rooted reducing in soil – After your plant has shaped roots which can be 1/2 inch lengthy, place the reducing in a pot with soil. Be sure you observe the beforehand talked about planting steps.
Repotting a Corn Plant
Since corn vegetation are slow-growing, so that you gained’t must repot them usually. Goal to repot as soon as each three to 5 years.
To repot a corn plant, observe these steps:
- Select a pot or planter that’s one inch bigger in diameter than the previous pot.
- Take away the plant from its previous container and examine the roots for any indicators of illness.
- Mud off any previous potting soil.
- Place the corn plant in its new pot.
- Add new potting soil.
- Water completely.
3 Widespread Corn Plant Issues and The way to Deal with Them
Whereas corn vegetation don’t expertise many issues with pests or illnesses, they usually take care of points attributable to poor environments. Listed here are three of the most typical corn plant issues.
Brown or Yellow Leaves
Verify for the next in case your corn plant’s leaves start to discolor and drop.
- Extra water – Guarantee your plant’s soil is drying out between waterings. And don’t overlook to dump water that flows by means of drainage holes.
- Chilly temperature – Temperatures beneath 60ºF and drafts can stress out corn vegetation. Increase your private home’s temperature, and transfer the plant away from exterior doorways and poorly insulated home windows.
Brown Leaf Suggestions
Brown and crunchy leaf ideas point out a problem with water or fertilizer.
- Poor water high quality – Faucet water can introduce salts that hurt vegetation and trigger browning. To keep away from points, change to filtered water or rainwater.
- Extra fertilizer – Corn vegetation don’t require a lot fertilizer; solely apply vitamins twice a yr. And don’t exceed the really helpful software charge.
- Overwatering – Enable soil to dry out between waterings.
Light leaves point out that your plant is receiving an excessive amount of direct gentle. Transfer the plant to a location the place it receives oblique gentle.
All About Corn Vegetation
Corn Plant Origins and Historical past
The corn plant is native to tropical areas of Africa, together with modern-day Cameroon, Ivory Coast, and Mozambique. It thrives within the dappled gentle of the understory of scorching, humid forests.
European botanists introduced the plant to Europe through the 1700s. They named it after the phrases drakaina, a mythological feminine dragon, and fragrans resulting from its sweet-smelling flowers.
From this level on, folks have saved Dracaena fragrans as a houseplant.
Botanical Info and Names
|Widespread Names:||Corn plant, Cornstalk dracaena, False palm, Aromatic dracaena, Dragon plant|
In style Corn Plant Cultivars
The Dracaena genus comprises a whole lot of species of vegetation, and Dracaena fragrans is just one. Another in style houseplants on this genus embody the snake plant (Dracaena trifasciata) and fortunate bamboo (Dracaena sanderiana).
In terms of the fragrans species, issues can get a bit complicated. Some botanists contemplate Dracaena deremensis a separate species, however the majority listing deremensis as a bunch beneath Dracaena fragrans. So in the event you see a Dracena fragrans ‘Janet Craig’ and a Dracaena deremensis ‘Janet Craig’, know they’re the identical plant.
In style cultivars of Dracaena fragrans embody:
|Massangeana:||Inexperienced leaves with central yellow stripes|
|Lindenii:||Inexperienced leaves with central yellow stripes and white margins|
|Victoria:||Inexperienced leaves with yellow margins|
|Limelight:||Shiny lime inexperienced leaves|
|Janet Craig:||Darkish inexperienced leaves|
|Warneckii:||Darkish inexperienced leaves with white stripes|
Are Corn Vegetation Poisonous to Pets or Individuals?
Corn vegetation are poisonous to pets, together with cats and canine, so preserve them out of your furry pal’s attain. If pets ingest the leaves, they expertise signs together with vomiting, despair, and an absence of urge for food.
The vegetation aren’t poisonous to people, however greatest to maintain the plant out of the attain of youngsters if attainable.
Corn Plant Makes use of and Advantages
Corn vegetation are nice at eradicating toxins from the air: Scientists used the corn plant in NASA’s clear air research, which proved that vegetation can take away toxins from the air. As such, you should utilize the corn plant to take away dangerous compounds, together with benzene and formaldehyde, from the air.
Research have proven that houseplants like corn can scale back stress and anxiousness. Not solely do these vegetation brighten your areas, however additionally they enhance your temper!
Corn vegetation are additionally tremendous in style as privateness hedges: In tropical areas, folks plant corn vegetation in a row to type outside borders.
Corn Plant Which means and Symbolism
- The Chagga folks of Tanzania have particular makes use of for the corn plant. They use it as a grave marking in addition to a component of a wedding proposal. The Chagga additionally make the most of numerous Dracaena species to mark areas that maintain ancestors’ skulls.
- In some Asian nations, folks view the corn plant as a logo of luck. If the plant blooms in your house, you’ll obtain luck.
Corn Plant Care FAQs:
How a lot solar does a corn plant want?
Corn vegetation of their native surroundings are used to shade being offered all through the day by overhanging bushes and plants. Goal to place your corn plant in a brilliant room away from the solar’s rays.
Why are the leaves on my corn plant turning brown?
Corn plant leaves turning brown is often a results of over-watering. Stagnant water within the soil base or on the leaves can put vital stress on the corn plant, inflicting discoloration. Corn plant leaves additionally flip brown resulting from sudden modifications or very cool temperatures.
Ought to I minimize the brown ideas off my corn plant?
Brown tips about corn plant leaves might be minimize off with sharp gardening scissors, particularly if any signal of decay or fungal an infection kinds. Watch out to not minimize away any of the wholesome foliage.
Are corn vegetation straightforward to look after?
Corn vegetation are thought-about easy-care vegetation appropriate for each novices and lovers alike. They thrive in reasonable to low-light settings and usually require much less watering than different houseplants, so their upkeep necessities are additionally thought-about minimal.
How lengthy will a corn plant dwell?
Corn vegetation can thrive for a number of years in most indoor environments with due care and a focus. The plant may also be propagated each spring or summer season if you wish to begin new development afresh.
How do I get my corn plant to bloom?
Corn vegetation grown indoors will usually develop at a slower charge in comparison with these grown outdoors. Corn vegetation should attain maturity earlier than they flower, which might take a number of seasons of development indoors.
With distinctive branching habits and numerous leaf colours, corn vegetation make the right addition to any house. Plus, they’re straightforward to look after! Simply present a tall house, oblique gentle, and correct water, and also you’ll have a shocking plant for years to return.
For extra, see our information to the greatest plant retailers and nurseries delivering Dracaena vegetation all through the USA.