Camellia flowers are a stunning sight in any backyard from fall till spring. Nevertheless, you can too take pleasure in camellia blooms indoors by drying them or preserving them in wax. On this article, we’ll run by way of a number of confirmed methods to efficiently dry and protect camellia flowers at residence.
When Are Camellia Flowers In Season?
Camellia shrubs are divided into three teams based mostly on once they flower. Early-season camellias, together with Camellia sasanqua, bloom within the fall. Mid-season camellias, akin to Camellia japonica, flower throughout the winter, whereas late-season camellias bloom throughout the spring.
When to Choose Camellia Flowers For Drying and Preserving
The perfect time to choose camellia flowers is within the early morning or late night. Keep away from choosing camellia flowers throughout the afternoon as they lose an excessive amount of water in sizzling situations. Choose camellia flowers anytime throughout the blooming season, however attempt to decide buds which have but to open totally. I like to recommend an identical approach for reducing camellia flowers for a vase or bouquet association.
Easy methods to Dry Camellia Flowers
That is the best method I’ve discovered to dry camellia flowers. Right here’s a fast information to air-drying camellia flowers:
- Search for camellia flower stems with buds which might be nearly totally open.
- Minimize off your chosen stems utilizing sharp, sterilized instruments. This minimizes the chance of spreading illnesses. Minimize on the backside of every stem simply above some extent the place a brand new bud is branching out.
- Take away a lot of the decrease leaves and bundle a number of stems along with string or elastic bands.
- Hold the camellia flowers the other way up in a cool, darkish place.
- Your camellia flowers needs to be dry inside 2 to 4 weeks.
Utilizing Silica Gel
Utilizing silica gel is a simple technique of drying camellia flowers that preserves the colour of the blooms. Right here’s a short information to drying camellia flowers utilizing silica gel:
- Add a layer of silica gel crystals to a plastic container. Purpose for a good layer that’s roughly half an inch thick.
- Choose some camellia flowers and minimize them on the base of the stem.
- Minimize off a lot of the stem in your chosen flowers, leaving roughly a ¼-inch connected on the base of the flower.
- Place the blooms into the silica gel, making certain they keep face up. Depart about 2 inches of area between every flower.
- Add one other layer of silica crystals to cowl the camellia flowers and seal the container utterly.
- Verify your flowers after two weeks. They need to really feel dry and papery. Gently shake off any remaining silica crystals.
Easy methods to Protect Camellia Flowers in Wax
Camellia flowers will also be preserved in wax. I’ve discovered this system just a little more difficult than merely drying them, however they are going to last more. Right here’s a fast information to preserving camellia flowers in wax:
- Choose some wholesome single or semi-double camellia flowers and minimize them on the base of the stem.
- Fill a big pan with water and convey it to a boil earlier than placing it on low warmth.
- Add roughly 4.5 lbs of paraffin wax to a smaller pan and place it contained in the bigger pan.
- Soften the wax till the temperature reaches 150ºF (65ºC). Take it off the range simply earlier than a crust begins to kind.
- Maintain the camellia flowers by the stem and punctiliously dip them into the melted wax. Make sure the petals are coated utterly, and rotate the flower earlier than eradicating it.
- Instantly submerge the flower into an ice tub. Every flower must be submerged within the ice tub for about 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, let the flower drain and let the wax solidify.
- Hold the flower the other way up to let it dry utterly. The waxed camellia flowers ought to final for a number of weeks.
Drying and Preserving Camellias FAQs
How Do You Dry Camellias?
You possibly can dry camellia flowers both by air drying them or utilizing silica gel. Silica gel is quicker and helps protect extra of the flower’s colour.
How Do You Protect a Camellia?
You possibly can protect camellias utilizing wax. Dip minimize camellia flowers in melted paraffin wax earlier than plunging them into an ice tub for 20 minutes. Then allow them to drain and dangle them as much as dry.
How Lengthy Do Waxed Camellias Final?
Waxed camellia flowers final for a number of weeks. Preserving camellia flowers in wax is an attractive and thrilling method of displaying these fantastic flowers.
Camellia flowers will be dried utilizing silica gel or air drying. Silica gel dries the blooms out quicker and preserves extra colour. Camellia flowers will also be preserved in wax and final for a number of weeks. Dried camellia flowers can final for a number of months.