and love hibiscus. However you won’t know all of the hibiscus flower colours that exist! Whether or not you’re in search of a deep crimson hardy hibiscus or a scorching pink tropical hibiscus, you possibly can in all probability discover a selection that meets what you’re in search of. We’re going to introduce you to the totally different hibiscus flower colours and likewise present a number of varieties you could additional discover.
Hibiscus Flower Colours: Key Takeaways
When it comes time to select an thrilling sort of hibiscus in your backyard, you possibly can select from a variety of colours! These vary from vibrant pink to muted orange to elegant white.
Every of those colours supplies distinctive symbolism, and studying concerning the that means behind the colours will help you join together with your crops.
Widespread Hibiscus Flower Colours
One of many enjoyable issues about hibiscus is that they’re out there in a wide range of colours. Whether or not you need to carry crimson blooms or subtly peachy tones, you will discover a hibiscus that can match your type.
Purple Hibiscus Flowers
Hibiscus is available in a variety of purple shades, together with mild lavender, vibrant violet, and deep plum. Listed below are some varieties to maintain an eye fixed out for.
- Marianne Charlton: double ruffled petals that characteristic deep gray-violet, mild pink, and white edges; flowers are six inches and actual showstoppers
- Mr. Ace: big purple flowers with deep crimson facilities
- Black Dragon: this selection isn’t black however relatively a deep magenta that gives a splash of royalty to the backyard
- Lavender Chiffon: single layers of sunshine lavender petals with lacy facilities; a hardy hibiscus
- Blueberry Smoothie: this hardy hibiscus has wealthy lilac petals that develop in ruffled layers
Yellow Hibiscus Flowers
Vivid yellow hibiscus flowers add a pop of pleasure to any backyard area! Unsurprisingly, yellow hibiscus flowers are tied to emotions of pleasure, friendship, and happiness.
Whereas neon yellow hibiscus is frequent, it’s also possible to discover extra subdued yellow flowers. And don’t overlook about flowers that mix yellow and colours corresponding to crimson and pink.
The yellow hibiscus is very beloved in Hawaii. That’s as a result of one in all these crops, Hibiscus brackenridgei, is the state flower.
If you wish to add a yellow hibiscus to your private home, search for these varieties.
- Ma’o hau hele: this species, Hibiscus brackenridgei, is endemic to Hawaii; the crops develop 10 to 30 toes tall and produce vibrant yellow flowers
- Butterball: a tropical hibiscus with vibrant yellow flowers that characteristic layers of ruffled petals
- Fort Myers: vibrant yellow petals coupled with yellow stigmas and stamens
- Hamabo: often known as Hibiscus hamabo, this species is a hardy sort native to East Asia
- Lemon Yellow: a tropical species often known as Hibiscus calyphyllus that produces flowers which can be three to 4 inches in diameter
Crimson Hibiscus Flowers
Crimson hibiscus flowers symbolize emotions of affection, romance, and fervour, which suggests they’re nice items for events like anniversaries and Valentine’s Day. Nevertheless, in case you simply love crimson, don’t hesitate so as to add one in all these crops to your backyard.
Crimson hibiscus flowers are additionally linked to the Hindu goddess Kali in addition to the passing of time.
You could find each tropical and hardy crimson hibiscus, so ensure you take note of the species earlier than including one in all these crops to your backyard.
- Coral hibiscus: identified by the scientific identify Hibiscus schizopetalus, this hibiscus has hanging petals that resemble a dropping spider; it’s a tropical selection that may solely overwinter in heat temperatures
- Cranberry hibiscus: not solely does this tropical hibiscus has deep crimson flowers, however it additionally sports activities maroon foliage; look out for its scientific identify Hibiscus acetosella
- Midnight Marvel: it is a hardy hibiscus with massive crimson flowers and foliage that ranges from inexperienced to crimson to purple
- Cooperii: this tropical selection has vibrant crimson flowers with lengthy stamens in addition to enticing leaves which can be a mix of inexperienced, white, pink, and crimson
- Swamp hibiscus: often known as the Texas Star, this hardy hibiscus thrives in swampy areas; its species identify is Hibiscus coccineus
Pink Hibiscus Flowers
Pink hibiscus flowers are sometimes tied to emotions of friendship and platonic types of love.
You could find many pink varieties of each hardy and tropical hibiscus, together with the next varieties.
- Raspberry Smoothie: a hardy hibiscus that options a number of layers of magenta petals
- Kona: a tropical selection that options delicate layers of sunshine pink petals; the flowers are paying homage to bows produced from tissue paper
- Airbrush Impact: a hardy sort with vibrant pink flowers that show delicate variations in darkness; flowers attain over eight inches in diameter
- Berry Superior: deep pink flowers go nicely with the darkish inexperienced foliage that typically seems to have a touch of maroon
- Luna Rose: this hardy hibiscus maxes out at about three toes tall and produces numerous massive magenta flowers
Orange Hibiscus Flowers
Orange hibiscus flowers aren’t as frequent as crimson and pink sorts, however they’re nonetheless fairly straightforward to search out.
- Fiesta del Sol: this selection options mild orange petals with touches of yellow; it additionally options scorching pink veins and deep maroon facilities
- El Capitolio Orange: a surprising orange hybrid with orange and crimson streaked petals and an extended stamen with ruffled petals
- Apricot Brandy: this tropical orange hibiscus options layers of orange ruffled petals with a tinge of pink close to their facilities
- Pumpkin Pie: one other tropical sort that options further massive flowers that sport a number of shades of orange
- Orange Lagos: if you would like a tropical hibiscus that produces neon orange flowers, Orange Lagos is a superb selection
Blue Hibiscus Flowers
Whereas no hibiscus is actually blue, many individuals classify cool purple flowers as blue. These hibiscus flower colours are few and troublesome to search out, so you will have to do some looking earlier than you find them.
- Blue Satin: this hardy hibiscus has blue-violet flowers that show crimson facilities and white stamens
- Blue Chiffon: blue-violet flowers have massive outer petals and frilly white inside petals
White Hibiscus Flowers
Whereas all-white hibiscus varieties might have the identical flower shade, you will discover variations within the flower form and dimension.
- White Chiffon: this hardy hibiscus has massive white outer petals and small, ruffled inside petals
- Luna™ White: this selection has a basic Rose of Sharon look, white massive white petals coupled with a crimson middle
- French Vanilla: massive white flowers coupled with small, darkish pink interiors
- Hawaiian White Hibiscus: native to Hawaii, Hibiscus arnottianus, has elongated petals that curl downward and an extended, darkish pink stamen
- White Pillar: a hardy hibiscus with all white flowers and white stamens
Multi-Coloured Hibiscus Flowers
Hibiscus plant breeding efforts have given solution to all types of latest varieties, together with these with multi-colored flowers. A few of these hibiscus characteristic two-toned blooms, whereas others pack a handful of colours right into a single flower.
- Indigo Sundown: curved purple petals with pink edges create a barely psychedelic look
- White Scorching: through the cooler months, ‘White Scorching’ shows crimson flowers with yellow streaks; when the climate warms, the flowers show bigger quantities of yellow and orange
- Midnight Trist: a tropical hibiscus with a blinding show of sunshine pink, deep lavender, and vibrant crimson
- Evening Runner: this selection appears to have virtually each shade—yellow, orange, lavender, magenta, and white
- Imperial Dragon: massive flowers have petals that transition from orange to crimson to deep purple
The Science Behind Hibiscus Flower Colours
Flower shade is especially a product of genetics, and plant breeders are repeatedly working to develop new hibiscus varieties. The precise colours that flowers show are a product of the compounds inside the plant, together with anthocyanins and carotenoids.
Hibiscus Flower Colours FAQs:
What Is the Rarest Hibiscus Flower Coloration?
Blue hibiscus flowers are the toughest to search out.
Do Hibiscus Flowers Change Coloration?
Whereas many hibiscus flowers stay the identical shade, some varieties change colours relying on temperature and age.
What Is the Most Well-liked Hibiscus Coloration?
It’s troublesome to find out the preferred hibiscus shade, however Hibiscus Rosa-Sinensis is the preferred species. Crimson, pink, and yellow variations of this plank are all common selections.
Are Purple Hibiscus Pure?
Sure, many varieties of purple hibiscus are pure varieties. You could find hibiscus flowers that vary from deep violet to mild lavender.
Though no hibiscus is actually blue, some varieties produce cool violet flowers. The plant often known as blue hibiscus shouldn’t be a member of the hibiscus genus and goes by the scientific identify Alyogyne huegelii.
Whilst you can’t discover hibiscus in each shade, you possibly can certainly discover a broad variation in flower shade. Since genetics play the biggest position in flower shade, make sure that to concentrate to species and selection names when you choose your subsequent hibiscus flower colours.
For extra, see our in-depth information to the greatest companion crops for hibiscus, easy methods to cope with frequent hibiscus pests, when and easy methods to fertilize hibiscus, the makes use of and advantages of hibiscus flowers, and our important suggestions for watering hibiscus.