Two years in the past, I noticed a big Yaupon holly accessible within the vendor’s space on the US Nationwide Bonsai Exhibition. I’m a giant fan of the species however for some cause I didn’t take into consideration taking it dwelling on the time.
Two months in the past, I noticed the tree once more at this 12 months’s Nationwide Exhibition. As luck would have it, I used to be in a position to decide it up on the Saturday afternoon public sale.
Yaupon holly – 23″ tall, 33″ vast
After I’m searching for a tree like this, I take into consideration whether or not or not I can get it into form to indicate it at an occasion just like the Nationwide Exhibition. If the tree doesn’t have the potential for it, I’ll seemingly go.
On this case, the tree has a pleasant trunk and floor roots (it’s about 11″ in diameter an inch above the floor roots), however the branches have a number of room for enchancment (many are lengthy with little taper, motion, or department division).
Since I’m conversant in the species, I’ve an thought of what it’d take to arrange it for a prime exhibit. I’m guessing 10-15 years is an effective begin down this highway, however even that may rely on the way it responds to the work I plan to do within the subsequent few years.
The explanation I made a decision to tackle this mission is that I’m enthusiastic about what the tree would possibly seem like these 10-15 years from now. I additionally know that if I don’t take the time to make these enhancements, I’ve no expectation that it’ll enhance in any significant means by itself.
Right here’s how I have a look at it.
- Attention-grabbing trunk
- Attention-grabbing floor roots
- Good species for my local weather
- Develops branches comparatively shortly
- Good potential present tree
- The tree has been getting weaker (word the sparse foliage on the higher proper aspect)
- Many overly massive branches
- Poor department division
- No expectation that enormous scars will heal
- Growth will take a very long time
Now for the plan.
- Repot the tree into a big pot or wooden field and let it develop freely for one or two years till it regains vigor
- Take away the most important branches
- Shorten the branches with lengthy internodes
- Practice new branches by letting them run till they attain the specified thickness (see Creating Yaupon holly for particulars)
It’s a easy method on paper, however I do know it’ll take longer than I count on and that lots is determined by the way it responds to the longer term department discount.
I’m undecided if it’s the size of the mission, the projected payoff, or just the reliance on destiny for key features of the mission that make it interesting, however I do know I’m trying ahead to getting began!
GSBF Golden Zoom: Pot Choice Video Obtainable
The Golden State Bonsai Federation hosts quarterly on-line displays on their YouTube channel. Earlier this week, they recorded a presentation I gave on pot choice as the most recent installment within the sequence. If you happen to’re all for studying in regards to the conventions that information the choice of containers for bonsai, test it out at this time at: Jonas Dupuich Presents Bonsai Pot Choice
Subscribe to Bonsai Tonight
New Posts Delivered Each Tuesday and Friday