Supply Materials: March 02, 2023
Welcome again bonsai fanatics, as we speak I share a brief article targeted on a current repot which illustrates some bigger questions we should ask for our timber to look their greatest. The place ought to I place my tree within the pot? To the middle? To the left? To the suitable? How do I would like the nebari/root flare to look given the choices the tree gives? Learn on for a better take a look at the distinctive challenges and character of this tree, assume by means of what you’d have completed if it was your tree, and be at liberty to share these concepts within the feedback under.
- Reviewing Repotting Fundamentals
- Historical past of the Tree
- Nebari Selections
- Planting Place – What Suits Greatest?
- Ultimate End result
IA. Earlier Posts on Repotting
IB. Intro to Bonsai Soil
To know what makes a very good bonsai soil combine, we’ll first describe the fundamental classes of soil parts. I sometimes use a customized mixture of inorganic and natural supplies in an outlined ratio primarily based on the species of tree. The inorganics promote air house within the pot and permit us to attain dense nice roots. That is fascinating in bonsai tradition (extra so than different container vegetation) as a substitute of utilizing common filth from the bottom or potting soil as extra air and extra nice roots = much less water retention within the pot, thus it is more durable to kill timber by overwatering in good bonsai soil. Furthermore, the nice roots do all of the work of importing new water and vitamins from the soil into the tree, thus extra nice roots in a pot = extra dense foliage mass which the bonsai can assist. Now on the natural aspect, the aim of natural materials is to retain some water so we do not have to water fairly a lot in the summertime and to offer and retain some vitamins. Natural materials additionally helps the colonization of helpful micro organism and fungi which help our timber. Additional studying will be completed on the CEC (cation trade capability) and pH (acidity/basicness) of various substrates for bonsai however that’s past the scope of an intro article.
IC. An Akadama Substitute?
|Dense nice roots crammed the pot after 3 years rising in 2 elements aged bark chips, 1 half lava, and 1 half pumice. Collectively these parts present air areas for nice root growth, retention of vitamins, and promote a wholesome soil microbiome.|
I dug this shohin privet in 2020 in Bellevue, WA from the backyard of somebody who had actively pruned it again such that it was simply two small, undesirable, fused stumps within the floor once I chanced on them. Later, I could dig up these early footage to indicate the development however the secret for this put up is focus! Anyhow, after the tree recovered from the dig, I educated it during the last 3 years with annual pruning and wiring changes to the crown. For that point, it lived in the identical pot and, as it’s now trying like a good bonsai, I needed to lastly get it right into a bonsai pot to decelerate its vigorous progress. Beneath you possibly can see the place to begin for the tree in its coaching pot on the time of our repot.
|Potential entrance. Pre-repot, March 2023.|
|One other potential entrance? TBD. Pre-repot, March 2023.|
Right here you possibly can see the nebari on the entrance. There’s one significantly lengthy floor root that rises above the aircraft of the remainder of the nebari after which descends again into the soil. Additionally, it is arduous to see right here, however there was much more enticing nebari under the soil which we uncovered a bit extra of as we speak and we’ll proceed exposing that over time because it develops. Behind the lengthy, rightward root can be floor roots from the decrease trunk which we are able to exhibit if the offending root was repositioned or lowered. So listed below are the choices…
- Do nothing, depart the lengthy, rightward root. It is not essentially too excessive or too massive as to be unnatural trying.
- Press the rightward root down into the soil with wire staples or a rock to decrease it would not cover the roots behind it as a lot. This might additionally finally result in extra roots rising off of it which we are able to select to shorten the foundation again to.
- Completely take away the rightward root from the purpose the place it ascends into the air. Develop the opposite roots behind and under it extra to indicate off sooner or later.
Which tact would you’re taking right here? Choose an choice earlier than continuing under to see what I selected.
|The entrance of the tree’s root unfold/nebari with the problematic rising and descending root seen on the middle proper.|
Beneath you possibly can see I really did a fourth choice for now. I used to be leaning in the direction of killing the foundation nevertheless it does have some attention-grabbing pure motion so I used to be contemplating choice 1 and a pair of to maintain making use of it. In the long run I attempted a compromise between all three choices. I killed the foundation in order that the tree’s sources will go in the direction of growing the decrease nebari which will likely be extra enticing in the long term. I additionally determined to kill the foundation whereas leaving it as a lifeless stub (jin in Japanese), and I carved the stub for now by eradicating the outer bark and peeling layers of the freshly killed wooden again. I do not anticipate this stub to final endlessly as it should finally decay, however whereas the decrease nebari is bettering, this may be one other supply of visible curiosity down low on the tree.
|I made a decision to kill the foundation and peel again the recent deadwood to make some visible curiosity out of it.|
Right here I would like you to check the under 3 choices on planting positions for this tree. Give you a solution for which choice (place within the pot) you’d use for this tree? I will not share my opinions till after you evaluation the photographs in order to not bias you.
|Possibility 1. Just a little off to the left. The decrease tree’s crown meets the sting of the pot. Right here neither tree is centered.|
|Possibility 3. Extra to the suitable. The unfavourable house between the pot and the higher tree is emphasised and the decrease tree extends far past the rim of the pot. Right here the higher tree is centered.|
After reviewing these choices, I favored each choices 1 and a pair of, however I made a decision to go together with one thing extra like choice 1 as I loved how the unfavourable house emphasizes the directionality of the tree. The tree is pointing to the suitable because the decrease trunk reaches in that route. Thus, the unfavourable house on the left aspect of the higher trunk needs to be minimized so the attention doesn’t give attention to it and as a substitute the attention follows the directionality to the place I’m intending. Additionally, the additional house under the righthand trunk in choice 1 might be used so as to add a penjing figurine sooner or later, however the house in choice 2 is extra restricted and thus too cramped for that choice. Possibility 2 can be compelling in its personal proper because it is a little more balanced, and it might be value returning too sooner or later. Lastly, choice 3 I didn’t select because of the unfavourable house between the pot and the higher trunk being completely in battle with the route of the tree. When you had a special choose or a special clarification for why, please let me know.
I hope you loved practising your bonsai problem-solving abilities in as we speak’s select your personal journey article. I have never written many weblog articles lately however now that I’ve handed my candidacy examination in grad faculty, you possibly can anticipate to listen to about my tree work extra usually as I’ve extra free time once more. Thanks once more to Mark Passerrello of Historic Artwork Bonsai right here in Columbus, OH for the reasonably priced pot! You may see our interview with Mark on the Bonsai Time Podcast right here.
|Potential entrance. Put up-repot, March 2023.|
|Potential again. Put up-repot, March 2023.|
- Spring is sprung right here in Ohio! One of the best time to start out a bonsai from seed was yesterday, however as we speak is the following greatest time. Get your seeds for over 30 species of timber each native and conventional Japanese species for bonsai from my Etsy web page to start out your bonsai from seed. As at all times, I ship my customized bonsai-from-seed information for each buy of seeds which fits over the steps it’s worthwhile to take for germination and long-term bonsai success. You may also view my lecture on seed rising bonsai without spending a dime right here.
- Extra Bonsai Time Podcast Episodes coming later this week! See our previous episodes at www.bonsaitimepodcast.com
- Upcoming Central OH Bonsai occasions:
- CBS March Assembly – 3/19/23, 2pm-5pm @ Franklin Park Conservatory – repotting BYOT, a brief presentation by Kevin Faris on his work with Todd Schafer, and Ken Huth of Ken’s World of Bonsai will likely be attending and promoting seedlings of many species.
- OSU Bonsai Membership March Assembly – 3/22/23, 5pm-7pm @ the OSU Ag Admin Constructing – Wiring Bonsai 101 with instruction on my own and Kevin Faris.
- CBS + Columbus Parks and Recreation Division Invasive Honeysuckle Dig on 4/15/23, 9am-12pm. The situation will likely be introduced quickly. See the potential for utilizing invasive honeysuckle for bonsai right here