Planting a naked root tree will be intimidating, however it’s the greatest methodology of planting when contemplating the tree’s well being. Timber acclimate to the soil seamlessly, set up faster, and have a root mass that’s not circling or tangled when planted naked root. I’d suggest planting naked root timber over containerized timber at any time when attainable.
- Digging the opening too deep.
- This could trigger the tree and/or soil to sink as time goes on which might result in lack of stability, issues with the roots drying out, or being planted too deep.
- Planting the tree too deep
- This results in roots that circle round one another that may choke one another out and rotting close to the trunk which might trigger long run issues
- Letting the roots dry out
- Not preserving the roots moist till planting ends in a fast loss of life. This doesn’t imply that you must mist the roots each minute, however that you simply don’t go away them out for hours on finish. Ideally you’d plant naked root timber when it isn’t very heat or windy, as each of these issues could cause desiccation (drying out) of the roots.
- Not Mulching
- Mulching masks many small errors that may result in loss of life of your tree. If you happen to water a bit too late, mulch will be the distinction between being alive or lifeless. This aids transplanting and institution in a method no different single motion might. I can not suggest mulching sufficient, it’s most likely the perfect factor you are able to do on your tree’s well being, particularly when planting timber.
Step By Step
- Unpack the tree and take away all packing supplies. Soak the roots in water for two to five hours
- Dig a gap as deep as the foundation system and two occasions the width of the foundation system
- Loosen the encompassing soil to help the roots in extending the primary yr
- Plant the tree in order that the foundation flare (the place the primary main roots happen on the trunk or the place the trunk widens) is seen at floor degree.
- Fill the opening and gently agency the soil together with your fingers to loosely pack the soil across the root system.
- Water the tree by constructing a basin round it and letting the water soak in
- Mulch the world 2 to 4 inches deep in a 3′ diameter across the tree whereas preserving the mulch a minimum of 4″ away from the trunk
Beneath is a video from the Arbor Day Basis the place a licensed arborist demonstrates these steps with a small evergreen tree.