Cabbage is a hardy, cool-season crop. Cabbage seedlings could be set within the backyard 4 weeks earlier than the final frost in spring. You may sow cabbage seeds indoors in flats 4 to six weeks earlier than you set seedlings within the backyard; that’s 8 to 10 weeks earlier than the final frost. The minimal soil temperature for cabbage is barely above 40°F (4°C).
Cabbage grows greatest at temperatures between 40° and 75°F (4°-24°C). Cooler temperatures and hotter temperatures may cause cabbages to bolt and go to seed. Select a range (see checklist beneath) that may come to reap earlier than antagonistic temperatures set in.
Count on cabbage seeds to germinate at almost 100%. You might need to use tweezers to position seeds within the flat at 2-inch (5cm) intervals. If seeds come up crowded, transplant some to a different flat in any other case the seedlings will turn out to be leggy and weak.
Should you reside the place summer time temperatures don’t get hotter than about 70°F (21°C), plant succession crops each 3 weeks for a steady provide of tender cabbage.
Cabbage has very shallow roots, so maintain the highest few inches of soil from drying out. Fluctuations in soil moisture after the heads have fashioned may cause heads to separate.
Cabbage planting dates for spring and summer time harvest
(These dates are for the Northern Hemisphere)
|Common date of the final frost||Planting dates|
|Jan. 30||Jan. 1-15|
|Feb. 8||Jan. 1-Feb. 10*|
|Feb. 18||Jan. 1-Feb. 25*|
|Feb. 28||Jan. 1-Feb. 25*|
|Mar. 10||Jan. 25-Mar. 1*|
|Mar. 20||Feb. 1-Mar. 1*|
|Mar. 30||Feb. 15-Mar. 10|
|Apr. 10||Mar. 1-Apr. 1*|
|Apr. 20||Mar. 10-Apr. 1*|
|Apr. 30||Mar. 15-Apr. 10*|
|Might 10||Apr. 1-Might 15*|
|Might 20||Might 1-June 15|
|Might 30||Might 10-June 15|
|June 10||Might. 20-June 1|
Cabbage planting particulars
- Sowing depth: ½ inch (13mm)
- House between plant after thinning: 18-24 inches (cm)
- Days to sprout: 10
- Days to reap: 60-110
- Storage interval: 12-16 weeks
- Seeds per 100 row ft: ¼ ounce (7 grams)
- Yield per 100 row ft: 60 kilos (29 kg)
- Early to reap varieties (65-75 days): Earliana, Early Greenball, Early Marvel, Golden Acre, Emerald Cross Hybird.
- Midseason to reap varieties (75-85 days): Bonanza, Copenhagen Market, Stonehead.
- Late to reap varieties (85-100 days): Houston Evergreen, Storage Inexperienced, Danish Ballhead, Penn State Ballhead.
Associated articles of curiosity: