Develop an early and late or principal crop of celery every rising season. The early crop can be harvested in August; the late crop can be harvested in September or October, earlier than the primary fall frost.
Begin celery seed indoors. Sow seed for the early or August harvest in February. Set younger crops within the backyard in Could. Sow seed for the primary crop or late harvest on the finish of March or in April. Set younger crops within the backyard in June.
Celery grows greatest in cool climate, so the autumn or principal crop is commonly one of the best. For an early or summer time harvest, plant a heat-resistant selection.
Celery seed germination
Celery seed takes about 21 days to germinate. Mild helps celery seed germinate; don’t plant the seed deeper than ¼ inch. Heat days and cooler nights, additionally assist celery seed germinate. Maintain the soil evenly moist through the germination perio
Celery seedling transplanting
Celery crops varieties lengthy taproot. If the taproot is damaged, the plant will undergo. There are two methods to transplant celery into the backyard and keep away from harm to the taproot:
- Transplant the seedling early when it’s simply 3 to five inches (7-13cm) excessive, and earlier than a taproot varieties.
- Transplant the seedling twice: as soon as indoors and secondly into the backyard. Sow the seed in a flat; when the seedling is 3 to five inches (7-13cm) excessive, transplant it into particular person pot deep sufficient for a taproot to kind, a pot 6 to 10 inches (15-25cm) deep. Develop the plant on indoors. When the climate outside is hotter than 50°F (10°C), harden the plant off after which transplant it into the backyard being cautious to not disturb the taproot.
When transplanting celery to the backyard, keep away from chilling the plant under 50°F (10°C), or it could bolt to seed.
Celery rising circumstances
Celery taste is affected by rising circumstances. Celery likes moist, mild, wealthy soil that’s well-drained. It doesn’t like heavy clay, lavatory, or peat soil. Celery calls for loads of water, but it surely doesn’t need moist toes.
Celery is a heavy feeder. It like loads of nitrogen. Add aged compost or well-rotted manure to the planting gap; you can too add bonemeal. Then give celery further feedings about twice a month.
Celery seedling planting dates for summer time harvest
(These dates are for the Northern Hemisphere)
|Common date of the final frost||Planting dates|
|Jan. 30||Jan. 1-Feb. 1|
|Feb. 8||Jan. 10-Feb. 10|
|Feb. 18||Jan. 20-Feb. 20|
|Feb. 28||Feb. 1-Mar. 1|
|Mar. 10||Feb. 20-Mar. 20|
|Mar. 20||Mar. 1-Apr. 1|
|Mar. 30||Mar. 15-Apr. 15|
|Apr. 10||Apr. 1-Apr. 20|
|Apr. 20||Apr. 10-Could 1|
|Apr. 30||Apr. 15-Could 1|
|Could 10||Apr. 20-June 15|
|Could 20||Could 10-June 15|
|Could 30||Could 20 -June 1|
|June 10||June 1-June 15|
Celery planting particulars
- Sowing depth: ¼ inch (6mm) or much less
- House between plant after thinning: 6-8 inches (15-20cm)
- Days to sprout: 21
- Days to reap: 100-140
- Storage interval: 8-16 weeks
- Seeds per 100 row toes: ½ ounce (14 grams)
- Yield per 100 row toes: 200 crops
- Advised varieties: Utah 50-70, Utah No. 15, Beacon, Spartan
Associated articles of curiosity: