Whereas on trip on the Oregon coast this month I noticed many vegetation that had been wind-influenced. I want this time period to ‘windswept’ as that conjures up a well-recognized picture, one which we predict we all know, and nonetheless a tree form. ‘Wind-influenced’ feels broader and open to interpretation. A number of examples observe.
A shrub shaped by wind solely yards from the coast. Appears to be like eerily just like the sand dunes simply over the crest, the place there is no such thing as a grass. The topiary model of a dune.
Extra woody vegetation shaped by wind. These are about 1/4 mile from the coast.
Within the foreground, one other shrub formed not in contrast to the primary one.
That is an arresting instance. With a couple of exceptions within the backside half, these are all timber. All spruce, really. The flattened ones seem like shrubs, however it’s the identical species upslope, in spruce-tree shapes. (A well-recognized ‘windswept’ tree is highlighted in the dead of night alcove.) On the fitting is a close-up plant, exhibiting particular person spruce shoots. Downslope is the ocean crashing on the seashore, about 300 yards away.
We could not want our timber to seem like sand dunes. I simply discovered it fascinating that the pure stylistic area of wind-influenced timber isn’t easy or one factor.
The takeaways may be:
- the shapes wind creates don’t at all times seem like recognizable tree varieties
- wind outcomes could homogenize, irrespective of fabric: vegetation wanting like sand, and so on.
- wind could be extremely localized; a couple of yards away, a special morphology
- the summary potentialities of wind recommend a large canvas.
January 2022 Bulletin Board
- Have free mornings this weekend? Be part of us for the upcoming Winter Seasonal-lite for repotting expertise and design concerns in one of the inventive occasions of the bonsai calendar. January 22 and 23, with 6 hours whole in-person instruction bookend this restricted enrollment on-line course, together with a 30-minute personal with me. For sign-up ship an e mail to [email protected]